In 1814 the Rahan heiress Ms Maria O’Brien (later Sr. Mary Clare) gave lands at Tullybeg to the Jesuit community. Work commenced on a school in 1815 and same opened in 1818.
It was to become one of Ireland’s greatest Colleges.
From 1818 to 1886 Tullybeg surpassed all expectations as a centre of learning – it’s students examination results eclipsed even their counterparts in the reknowned Clongowes – it’s sister school.
Unfortunately, due to a lack of resources (both financial and manpower) the school closed – it’s students being transferred to Clongowes. However, it then became the Jesuit House of Ecclesiastical Study – Faculty of Philosophy.
The Novitate of the Irish Province.
From 1930 to 1962 it was used as a house for enclosed Retreats and then opened as a house of general Retreats thereafter. Tullybeg was sold in the 1970s and was later turned into a nursing home and golf club. However it subsequently fell into disrepair.